Last Updated on February 13, 2022
Everyone desires a clean house. However, many do not want to spend their free time cleaning. They rather hire a professional house cleaner. Busy homeowners often ask the question of whether they should tip their home cleaners or not. If they decide to tip, they tend to know how much they should tip house cleaners.
There are tipping etiquettes that can solve your problem to a greater extent. You tip the waiters in the restaurant most of the time when you go out for lunch or dinner. Right? Similarly, you can consider tipping people who sort a major mess of your life. Some questions may pop up in your mind. Do you tip house cleaners? How much do you tip house cleaners? Do you tip cleaning services?
This simple guide will help you identify the best tipping methods or whether you should tip your home cleaners or not.
1. Three major viewpoints on tipping.
When it comes to tipping home cleaners, three prominent schools of thought come to mind.
- These include people who do not tip at all. They think that home cleaners are doing their duty. They are getting paid for it, so no need to tip.
- This list includes people who appreciate the work of their helping hands. They tip thinking that the community is usually underpaid.
- The last group includes people who think that company services include the tipping bills so they are directly tipping the company. They think service companies deduct tip amounts from what they pay.
Besides all these perspectives, if you feel confused about tipping, there are some clear ways to sort the issue out.
2. Cleaning companies VS independent home cleaners
First of all, you can figure out whether a home cleaner is from a company or self-employed. A self-employed cleaner usually runs the work without having to expect any tip. They keep all the money to themselves so you can decide not to tip.
However, large companies only pay a specific amount of salary to the home cleaner. Mostly, these people are underpaid and hardly make life expenditures. In such cases, you can tip them as a symbol of appreciation. Some companies do not accept tips at all.
3. Ask the cleaning service providing company.
One of the simplest ways to investigate tipping is by directly asking the company. You may drop an email or call the company. You can ask if they include tipping as part of their service or not. You may also investigate the ideal amount to tip your home cleaner.
Try to familiarize yourself with the tipping policies of the respective agency. Some companies do not accept any tips, while others adjust the tipping amount in their payments so that customers do not have to pay extra. However, if the cleaning company does not mind tipping from customers. It’s never a bad idea to tip just like you give it to your hairdresser or beauty services.
4. When to tip house cleaner?
It is important to note that tipping is not an obligation. It is a matter of your personal preference and your overall experience with the home cleaner. You can decide tipping by considering the following factors.
- Look at your house before you hand it over to a home cleaner. Your house might need a deep cleaning followed by an extremely greasy kitchen and contaminated bathroom. If the cleaner does an extraordinary job by cleaning your home crystal clear, you might consider tipping. This step would be a sign of appreciation.
- Your home cleaner is honest, punctual, work vigilantly, and never disappoints you. Probably this is the time to consider tipping them.
- Sometimes, the cleaning agency sends the same home cleaner to your place. If so, you can tip them once a month with a good amount if you want. Moreover, if every time a new home cleaner comes in, you might pay them right away. That is so because you are not sure of their next visit.
5. How much to tip house cleaners?
That is a crucial question. Well, the best answer is the amount that suits your capacity. Tipping should not be taken as an obligation. If you cannot afford to tip, that is not a problem at all. Look into the type of cleaning you went for, the rates in your surrounding areas, and the work done to you.
- On average, people tip 15-20% of the total rate they pay.
- Rates are different at different places, so taking an average and paying would be a great way.
- If you are happy with the results, you are always welcome to increase the tip as per your capacity.
You may also like: How To Clean Popcorn Ceiling Dust? Five Simple Ways.
6. Does tip have to be money or can it be something else?
No, the tip does not necessarily have to be money. If the cleaning agency allows their employees to accept tips, you can arrange it as per your desire. Some home cleaners work on daily wages, and they are the only breadwinners of their household. You can shop for groceries and give them an appreciation for their work.
A discount or gift voucher is also a good idea in this regard. Moreover, if there’s any special occasion in their life, you can make it special by tipping a bit higher. Holidays and Christmas can be a great event to show your gratitude and represent how much you respect their role in your life.