Last Updated on September 12, 2022
You might have spilled juice accidentally on your new shirt and planning to remove the stain with the help of alcohol. What if alcohol leaves its stains instead of cleaning your clothes?
This is the most frustrating situation when you apply alcohol to remove different stains, and alcohol leaves tough stains of its own due to certain ingredients in its composition.
The stains of plain liquor are easily removable by washing them with detergent and hot water. Some alcoholic solutions can damage the fabric. However, this isn’t always the case. Using tactics, you can keep your clothes safe from getting alcohol stains.
Does Rubbing Alcohol Stain Clothes
At some stage, we all have to deal with tough stains, and most of us prefer to use bleach or rubbing alcohol for this purpose. Rubbing alcohol, or Isopropyl, is the pure form of alcohol widely used to remove stains.
So, does rubbing alcohol stain clothes?
It contains different ingredients such as dye that can leave stains. Its power to act as a light bleaching agent removes tough stains, but in the end, faded stains will be left behind.
You might be thinking to quit using alcohol to remove stains from clothes but applying the right proportion on compatible cloth, and accurate method can keep everything safe.
How to Use Alcohol to Remove Stains From Clothes
You can remove several types of stains such as gravy, paint, oil, ink, permanent marker, and dyes by using the right amount of alcohol. Here are some important tips we will share to guide you in removing stains from clothes with the help of alcohol.
- The first step involves collecting some cotton balls and applying a bit of alcohol over the stain. Do not use too much alcohol or dip the cloth inside the solution.
- Get a paper towel and wrap it in three folds to place under the part of the cloth containing the stain.
- Now take the 70% Isopropyl and add it to another cotton swab. Then dab it over the stain. Avoid using a pure form of isopropyl.
- Pick out the paper towel and add another paper towel in its place.
- Rub the cotton swab again over the stain from another side.
- Add some detergent to the stain and rub it gently. The stain will be removed within minutes, and you can wash it with cold water.
- Before hanging it to dry, let all detergent and alcohol wash away.
The method applies to cleaning all kinds of clothes, carpets, and furniture covers.
How to Remove Alcohol Stains From Clothes
Getting rid of alcohol stains from clothes isn’t easy if you are unaware of the right procedure. This task can get tougher if wood, leather, or special fabrics get stained.
Rubbing alcohol to remove juice or other stains will leave marks or bleach spots. It would be better to treat such stains sooner than later.
However, it’s not impossible to get rid of such stains. These stains are loose, and you can easily eliminate them with some tricks.
There are the following things you will need to do the cleaning job in the right way:
- Soft brush
- Glass Bowl
- Cold Water
- Rit Dye
Now pick the glass bowl and add water with dye fixative into it. Mix it properly to equalize the solution by making a paste. Apply this paste over the stained areas. Let it sit for 4 to 5 minutes, and with the help of a brush, rub the stain. The stain will fade after some time, and you can wash it to air dry.
It is highly recommended to air dry your cloth after this treatment.
Removing Alcohol Stains From White Clothes
The problem can seem stressful if your white clothes are stained by alcohol. Luckily you can remove stains from any cloth without any difficulty.
- Make a paste by mixing water and bleach inside a bowl.
- Apply the paste over stained parts of the cloth.
- Wait for 15 minutes to let the mixture show its wonders.
- After washing, you will notice that the clothes are bright white again, having no marks of alcohol.
How to Remove Isopropyl Alcohol Stains From Clothes
Adding drops of cooking oil to the spotted areas of the cloth will help remove stains of isopropyl alcohol. Rub the oil using a cotton cloth and keep rubbing until the stain is gone. If the stains are more stubborn, you can add some more drops of oil for better results.
Does Alcohol Discolor Fabric
Alcohol is best to remove some of the toughest stains from clothes, but sometimes fabric can get damaged with it. Certain types of fabrics aren’t safe for alcohol use, and their color will fade away.
You can apply a small quantity of alcohol over the cloth to test if it discolors any part. Some fabrics, leather, and wood aren’t safe to clean with alcohol but taking some preventive measures reduces the risk of damage.
Is It Safe to Put Alcohol In Washing Machine
It should never be in your plan to add alcohol inside the washing machine. Although alcohol has some properties to disinfect and remove tough stains but using it inside the washer isn’t a good idea.
Your machine parts will be badly affected due to alcohol, and it is also flammable enough to cause huge fires.
You must use solutions or cleaning agents that are safe for your washer.
Do Vodka & Beer Stain Clothes
If somehow, by mistake, you spilled beer or vodka over your dress, you should treat it immediately. These stains can remove easily by using some cleaning agents and alcohol. You can also add vinegar or baking soda to hasten the stain removal.
- Take a teaspoon of detergent and add it to hot water.
- Stir the mixture and add some vinegar.
- Put your clothes into the mixture and wait for 15 minutes before rinsing.
- Now take a sponge and rub alcohol over the stained parts of the cloth.
- All stains will disappear within this duration. However, you can also use chlorinated bleach if stains are still there.