Last Updated on July 5, 2022
Washing machines aren’t safe from limescale and lint build-up that disrupts their normal functioning if kept unchecked for longer. Their accumulation compromises the functional abilities of the machine and makes it hard for you to do regular cleaning.
You will definitely be tired of such happenings and looking forward to a way to prevent them. Fortunately, the solution is quite simple, and you can do it by just ensuring the proper cleaning to remove bad smells, dirt, debris, and scum.
In this post, we have compiled steps to clean a Maytag Washer conveniently. Though it is a high-quality washer, but not safe from defects. However, by taking some measures, you can reduce the risk and keep your washer cleaned to increase its durability.
How to Clean A Maytag Washer in Six Simplest Steps
Grime and mold build-up can easily affect your washer’s performance, which usually leads to nasty smells. No problem comes without a possible solution, and here you can fix everything by cleaning. Follow each step carefully if you are new to how to clean a Maytag washer.
Sanitize the Washer Drum
The clothes are loaded inside the drum of the washer, which is also a place where bacteria can easily grow if dirty water keeps on standing. The most effective way to get rid of such agents is chlorine bleach.
It acts as a disinfectant to eliminate all bacteria, fungi, and other germ particles. You can also use chlorine bleach to remove stubborn stains in no time.
- To sanitize the washer drum, add one to two cups of bleach to it.
- Shut the machine door and start the wash cycle for enough time.
- The temperature of the water should be kept hot for better cleaning.
Wipe The Rubber Gasket
After completing the wash cycle, now turn towards wiping the rubber gasket located at the edges of the door. This gasket acts as a seal but allows easy bacterial and mold growth.
- To clean it, use an old cloth to wipe down grease.
- Use the spray bottle to sprinkle white vinegar on the ara.
- Rub gently with a microfiber cloth.
- If you find it hard to remove stains by gentle rubbing, use chlorine bleach again for this purpose.
- Cover your hands in gloves and soak a piece of cloth in bleach to wipe the area around the gasket.
Detach the Detergent Dispenser
Almost all front-load washing machines have special compartments (dispensers) for adding detergents and other cleaning solutions. For cleaning these dispensers, you must detach them for removal through the place.
- Remove all dispensers from the washer and place them inside hot water.
- By using a sponge or cloth, scrub them neatly.
- Place them to air dry for some time, or use a microfiber cloth to absorb the moisture.
- After drying, put all dispensers back to their position inside the washer.
Clean the Maytag Washer Filter
Filters are present in all upgraded models of the Maytag washer that must be cleaned once in three to six months. All you have to do is to remove those filters and put them back after cleaning. In Maytag washers, these filters are located at the backside of the detergent dispenser. Now follow these steps to remove filters and how to clean them properly:
- First, you need to clean the drain pump that will be removed by opening the dispenser.
- The process starts with draining the pump hose by placing a bucket or something under the drain filter.
- Remove the clips of the pump hose and also detach the plugs.
- Drain water and all material present in the container.
- You can also replace the hose plug once the draining is completed.
- The next step involves removing the drain pump filter by moving it counterclockwise to make it straight.
- Clean the lint and leftover detergents from the filter. You can do it by hand and then dispose of all the waste.
- If the previous filter is faulty, replace it. Adjust the filter handle in a vertical direction to fix the drain pump.
Clean the Outside of the Maytag Washer
The exterior of the washing machine also has similar cleaning requirements as its interior. You can clean it by using a soft cloth to wipe the outer surface of the washer to remove dust and any spills. Use the cloth dipped in the solution of white vinegar.
Avoid using hard material to clean the exterior as it will damage the surface.
Rinse and Wash it
Whether a top load or a front load washer, a rinsing cycle is necessary to finish the cleaning process. Turn on the rinse cycle to drain the cleaning agents.
This cycle should run for a longer period and at the maximum temperature to eliminate all the bleach, vinegar, and detergents. To get rid of bad smells, you can sprinkle baking soda and then wipe it with a cloth.
When each part of your Maytag washer is cleaned, let the machine air-dry for a few hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to clean the Maytag washer with Affresh?
Affresh washing tablets are useful in removing debris build-up and limescale deposition out of the Maytag washer. You should wash your machine once in a month by Affresh. However, you should rely on chlorine bleach to kill bacteria and mildew growth.
How to clean Grey sludge in Maytag Washer?
Sludge can be anything, including dirt, bacteria, and grime that can develop in your machine over time. If it remains untreated for a long time, the dirt will accumulate and won’t be easy to remove. Vinegar is great for cleaning sludge and adding hot water to the affected areas.