Last Updated on April 27, 2022
Dishwashers contain built-in filters that help to prevent small food residuals from sticking to your cleansed utensils. The filter also prevents drain clog by trapping the food in it. These filters require regular cleaning if you want to leverage a long-lasting and smell-free dishwasher.
If you have observed a stinky smell coming from the dishwasher, you might need to clean it. Your plates may also come out of the dishwasher dirty or with small food particles. These are the symptoms of a clogged filter.
In this article, you will identify the best methods, tools, and step-by-step guides to clean GE dishwasher filters. The funky and irritating smell of your dishwasher will also go with repair and maintenance tips and tricks.
Fortunately, all the cleaning and maintenance tips do not require anything extra. Just follow the instructions by using household items.
How to clean GE dishwasher filter? – Tips for maintenance
The body of your unwashed and contaminated dishwasher can give rise to mold, bacteria, stains, and smell. Follow the following steps to keep the dishwasher filter super clean and germ-free.
Things you require;
- Microfibre soft cloth
- Soft bristle brush
- Dishwashing liquid/detergent
- Warm water
Step-by-step guide: how to clean Dishwasher filter
Step 1: Remove the filter and attached accessories
In the first step, you need to unload your dishwasher.
- Take out the lower rack from the dishwasher.
- You will see spray arms attached on top of the filter cap. Twist the spray arms and take them out.
- Now, twist the filter and pull it out of the space.
- Some dishwashers have mesh filters attached to them. Take the mesh filter as well. It is a part of the filtration process.
You will see the cylinder is full of debris, food particles, and mildew. It is time to rinse them off.
Step 2: Rinse the filter thoroughly
Once you have removed the filter from the dishwasher, throw all the debris from the cylinder, and empty it.
- Keep the filter under warm water. This step will take away much of the clog from the filter.
- Take some warm water in a bowl, and add dishwasher liquid/powder to it. Mix well to form soapy water.
- Soak the filter in the solution for some time.
- Now, use a soft-bristled brush and gently rub it on the holes of the filter. This step will deeply remove all the clog particles in the filter.
- Rinse with clean water and let it dry with a soft microfiber cloth.
You may also like: How to Clean Travertine Flooring? A Step-by-Step Guide
Step 3: Clean dishwasher fine filters and ultra-fine filters
Make sure you are not only cleaning the cylindrical filter and its surface. You need to clean ultra-fine filters (mesh screen) as well. The filtration process in the dishwasher is not complete without a mesh screen. Mesh plate helps to remove residual pieces that are not trapped by fine filters. These can be some large particles.
Â Follow these steps to clean ultra-fine filters;
- Wash the ultra-fine filter under warm water.
- Â Keep the filter in the soap and water mixture for some time.
- Use a soft-bristled brush or sponge to remove stains, mineral residual, and food particles.
- The sharp brushes can leave scratches on the surface, so avoid them.
- Rinse again with clean water and tap it dry with a soft cloth.
Ultrafine filters prevent drain clogging by keeping the debris on its surface. If the mesh plate is dirty, your water drain can also slow down significantly.
Step 4: Place the filter and mesh plate back
Once a deep cleaning is complete, it is time to put the filters back in the dishwasher. Put the cylindrical filter and twist until locked. Place the mesh plate and attach spray-arms. Put the lower rack back, the filter is all clean. But wait! Have you cleaned the dishwasher? If not, the residuals from the tub will directly go to the filter again.
You can also consider a Dishwasher drain pump kit in case of severe filtration problems.
Step 5: Deep clean the dishwasher from inside
Now you know how to clean GE dishwasher filters, it’s time to clean the tub as well. The dirty tub will eventually shift the debris in the filter. For ideal results, follow the guide;
- Take a damp-soft cloth, and clean the mineral residuals, food particles, and stains from the tub.
- Make sure to clean the rubbers along the inner lining as well.
However, if your dishwasher is still stinky, you might need some natural remedy for it.
Tips to remove odor from dishwasher
After a deep cleaning of the filters, some dishwashers can still smell stinky and funky. The reason can be due to ignored cleaning, dirty tub, or drainage clog. You can use household items and wipe out all the smells from your dishwasher.
2.1 Use vinegar:
Follow the steps to remove stains from the tub;
- Take a bowl of vinegar, place it in the top rack.
- You can also spray or spread the vinegar in the base of your dishwasher.
- Run a cleaning cycle. Make sure the cycle has the hottest possible temperature and long cycle.
- Once the cycle is complete, you will notice a clean, residual-free, and soft fragrance in your dishwasher.
2.2 Use baking soda:
- After a complete cycle of vinegar, the next step is to spread baking soda.
- Spread a gentle amount of baking soda in the base.
- Let it rest for a while. Run the hottest and longest cleaning cycle again.
- This extra step will make sure that the stinky smell is no more.
- Baking soda will also dissolve mineral deposits.
After following the above two steps, you can run a clear water cycle. This will remove the pungent aroma of baking soda and vinegar. Here you go, your way to clean GE dishwasher filters is all set to work efficiently.