Last Updated on April 27, 2022
Popcorn ceilings are still a part of many houses due to their aesthetic style and budget-effectiveness. Popcorn ceilings have become common since the 1950s, and many people still install them. Some people have maintained the older popcorn ceilings, maybe because they do not want to spend on ceilings.
Whatever the reason might be, it is not easy to clean popcorn ceilings. Fragile bumps on the ceiling surface get down easily. Many people damage their popcorn ceilings as they are not familiar with effective cleaning methods. In this article, all the queries regarding the popcorn ceiling have been answered. You will know about the cleaning tools, appropriate ways, and maintenance tips for your popcorn ceiling.
Here is how to clean popcorn ceiling dust. Continue reading and familiarize yourself with the best method to clean popcorn ceiling dust.
How To Clean Popcorn Ceiling Dust? – Tips and tricks
Before cleaning the surface of the popcorn ceiling, you need to ensure that it is asbestos-free. Asbestos causes serious health problems. The US government banned it in the 1980s. Although if your house is older than this, you may need to contact professional help or extra safety precautions before cleaning.
Wear gloves, goggles, and cover your hair before starting the cleaning process. Cover your furniture with a cloth or plastic sheet. You can also move the furniture out of the room if possible. Cover all other accessories such as decoration pieces etc.
Tools for dusting off popcorn ceilings:
If the ultimate goal behind cleaning is to remove all the dust and cobwebs, you can use the following methods to clean the popcorn ceiling.
A vacuum is a great tool to clean all the dust and webs from the ceiling. You can use a wide-extension brush from your vacuum attachments. Take a ladder, and vacuum your popcorn ceiling to remove the dirt particles. However, you might need some extra steps (given below) if you want to disinfect your popcorn ceiling as well.
1.2. Lint roller
A lint roller lint roller is an effective way to dust off the dirt and webs from the popcorn ceiling.
- Take a lint roller with a handle on the back.
- Now gently roll the lint roller on the popcorn ceiling.
- Do not do it very abrasively. It can damage the fragile bumps of your popcorn ceiling.
- You can also take a paint roller and roll duct tape on it.
- Place the sticky side of duct tape in the outward direction. The roller will stick the dust and webs on it.
- Now roll it on the popcorn ceiling.
1.3. Feather duster
Feather dusters are very soft as they can also clean the popcorn ceiling easily. The feathers do not cause any damage to your popcorn ceiling and remove the dust easily.
- Take a feather duster with a handle on the back.
- Now dusty off the cobwebs and other dirt from the ceiling by brushing the surface.
- The feather dusters easily take off all the dirt and particularly cobwebs.
1.4. Microfiber duster
Microfiber dusters are a beneficial tool for cleaning ceilings. The soft microfibres on these dusters help in taking off the smaller particles from the popcorn ceiling. These kinds of dusters also clean the popcorn ceilings without damaging the bumpy and vulnerable material.
You may also like: Hurricane Spin Scrubber Review: Top Rated Brand
- Take a microfibre duster.
- Dust off all the dirt and cobwebs by gently brushing the duster all over the popcorn ceilings.
- The microfibres can get in the small areas and tidy up the whole popcorn ceiling.
su_heading style=”modern-2-orange” size=”25″]
How to clean stains from popcorn ceilings?[/su_heading]
You can use the above methods to clean the surface and cobwebs on a base level. However, if you encounter some greasy stains, discoloration, smoke marks, or bacterial molds on your popcorn ceiling, you need a deep cleaning. There are two ways to deep clean the popcorn surface without causing any damage to the surface.
2.1. Clean grease, oil, or smoky popcorn ceiling
Some people install popcorn ceilings in kitchens or fireplaces, etc. Here the popcorn ceiling catches grease or smoke stains. You can clean such areas with this house hack.
Things you will need:
- Dishwashing liquid/soap
- Spray bottle
- Cleaning sponge
- Take one liter of warm water in a bucket.
- Add one or two tablespoons of dishwashing soap to it. Mix well.
- Now take a sponge and dip it in this mixture. Drain extra water from the sponge.
- Now gently scrub the sponge on the surface. Ensure that your sponge is slightly damp.
- You can also spray the mixture by adding it to a spray bottle.
- Leave the ceiling overnight. Turn on the fans. You will get rid of grease and oils.
- Remember, if you apply more water to the popcorn ceiling, it can grow mildew.
2.2. Clean bacterial/fungal molds or stains from popcorn ceiling
If your popcorn ceiling has encountered bacterial mildew or water stains from the roof, you also need to deep-clean your surface.
Things you need:
- Spray bottle
- Take a spray bottle.
- Add three parts of water to the spray bottle. Now add one part of bleach to the water. Mix well.
- Wear safety goggles, mask, cover your hair and full body. Your bleach solution can cause damage to your skin. Take all safety precautions.
- Now use a ladder and spray the bleach water on the popcorn ceiling.
- Do not apply a lot of bleach solutions. Spray one area only once.
- Leave the surface until dry.
- If you still notice any stain, spray again.
- Do not spray again until the popcorn ceiling is dry.
- Extra moisture can flatten the bumps on your ceiling.
How to clean and hide stains?
In case your popcorn ceiling can encounter very stubborn stains, you might need to paint the surface again. Buy the paint that matches your ceilingsâ€™ surface. Paint the hard stain all over again. You can also seek professional help if you want a flawless finish to your popcorn or cottage ceiling.