Jewelry, particularly earrings, is an essential part of women’s daily routine. You wear them while going to university, office, or any occasion. Remember that you need to disinfect your earrings on a regular basis. Ignored cleaning can cause infections to your ears.
Earrings come in different materials, they are gold, silver, diamond, pearls, platinum, and much artificial jewelry is made of metallic basis. You cannot use one disinfecting method to clean different materials. In this article, we have shortlisted different ways to clean different materials of earrings. How to clean earrings without damage? How to clean earrings with salt? How to clean vinegar with vinegar? All the answers to your desires are pinned in this reading.
Continue reading and find out the best tools, items, and techniques to clean earnings of different materials and qualities.
How to disinfect earrings without any damage
The best and secure method to clean any earrings is identifiable after knowing the material of the earrings. You should disinfect the earrings every week or at least every month. You need to pay special attention to the earrings you wear regularly.
Consult your professional jeweler first
Although you can clean earrings at home with household items, it is strongly recommended to ask your jeweler first. Most of the household hacks are acidic, basic, alkali with a strong concentration. They may cause damage to your earrings in the form of discoloring, blurring, or rust.
If you want to clean diamonds, pearls, sapphires, or any precious jewelry, professional assistance is great. Professional jewelers may clean your jewelry with special jewelry cleaners and care.
2.1. Wash your hands first
Before starting any cleaning process, your hands should be clean and sanitized. If you tend to clean earrings without washing your hands, dirt from your hands is going to stick to the earrings again.
2.2. Tools and techniques to disinfect earrings
You can use a household hack to clean your jewelry. The cleaning methods are a quick fix to your disinfecting problems.
Method 1: How to disinfect diamonds, silver, and gold?
You cannot use any abrasive chemicals on your expensive silver, diamond, or gold jewelry. It can cause discoloration to the ears. Use products with neutral pH or nonacidic nature. A neutral pH and unscented dishwashing soap can help for cleaning your expensive earrings.
- Take one tablespoon of non-acidic dishwashing soap/liquid. Add it to a bowl.
- Now add a glass of warm water to the dishwasher soap/liquid.
- Mix the solution well. Soak the earrings in the solution.
- Do not let it soak for too long. You can soak the earrings for 5 minutes at maximum.
- Take out the earrings.
- Take a soft-bristled brush and gently scrub the earrings.
- Rinse the earring with cold water. Make sure that you have removed the dishwasher soap completely.
- Dry the earring with a soft or microfibre cloth.
- Secure at a dry place.
Method 2: How to disinfect earrings with hydrogen peroxide?
- Take out your earrings and dust of extra dirt.
- Now take a plastic or glass container. Add hydrogen peroxide into it.
- Now soak the earrings in the hydrogen peroxide for 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take out the earrings.
- Wash the earrings with clean slightly warm water.
- Pat dry over a piece of cloth.
- Safe them in a neat and clean box.
Method 3: Use hot water to clean earrings
If you lack any tools to clean your earrings, simple hot water can also help you. All you need is hot water to disinfect your earring for a clean and shiny look.
- Take some hot water in a bowl.
- You can boil water in a pot or microwave in a mug as well.
- Now pour the water into a bowl.
- Place your earrings in the hot water.
- Let them soak for half an hour.
- Now take out the earrings, and scrub with the help of a soft-bristled brush.
- Hot water will melt any dirt or rust on the earrings and the toothbrush can easily take it off.
- Rinse under normal water again and dry it with a microfibre or soft cloth.
You may also like: How to Clean A Coffee Maker With Baking Soda?
Method 4: How to sterilize earrings with salt?
Sea salt helps to clean and disinfect the earrings in an efficient manner.
- Take a bowl and warm water in it.
- Take less than half a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Add the sea salt to the bowl of water and mix it well.
- Once the sea salt is dissolved in the water, soak your earrings in it.
- Do not let the earring set in for too long.
- Wait for five minutes and take out the earrings.
- Now scrub them with a soft brush and rinse with clean and cold water.
- Dry the earrings and keep them in a dry box.
Method 5: How to clean earrings with vinegar?
Vinegar is a natural and non-toxic cleaning agent. People use distilled white vinegar for many household hacks and use them for cleaning purposes. You can also use vinegar to get the shine and cleanliness of your earrings back.
- Pour some vinegar into a bowl.
- Soak your pair of earrings into the vinegar.
- Wait for 15 minutes to half an hour.
- 15 minutes is fine if your jewelry is partially dirty and you just disinfect it.
- Now take it out of the vinegar.
- Scrub it gently with a soft brush.
- Once you remove the dirt, clean it with plain cold water.
- Take a microfibre cloth and clean the earrings with
- You should always keep your earrings in moisture-free places.