Last Updated on October 12, 2023
Despite hours of sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, and cleaning, your efforts will be wasted if windows are covered in streaks and smears. Despite wiping and scrubbing the glass, some smears never disappear completely.
Proper window cleaning is essential whether your property is residential or commercial. It is one of the most important steps in keeping any property in good condition all year. Window glass smears are one of the most common issues that property owners face. Despite our best efforts to remove them, glass smears occasionally persist.
When you want to select a solution for cleaning your window, then we suggest you read about Best Hose Spray For Window Cleaner.
There are plenty of simple ways to get a smear-free window. In this article, we will discuss them.
Best methods to get the smear-free window
No special cleaning equipment or expensive window cleaning products are required to remove unsightly window smears. You need to follow a few simple guidelines when cleaning the windows.
Selecting window cleaning solution
First, select the appropriate cleaning solution for window glass. There are two options for selecting the best cleaning solution for the windows. You can either hire a commercial window cleaner or make a window cleaning solution.
Make a Window-Cleaning Solution
- White vinegar can be found in a variety of homemade cleaning solutions.
- To make such a solution, combine 1 tablespoon of white vinegar with 2 liters of water.
- Pour this mixture into a washed normal spray bottle with a 500-750 ml volume and thoroughly mix it before spraying it onto the surface.
- You can also use a few drops of lemon juice if vinegar is unavailable.
Supplies And Tools Required For Window Cleaning
There are a few things required for window cleaning;
- Distilled water
- Bowl, sponge
- Empty spray bottle
- Ladder (if windows are situated high)
- Drying pad or lint-free cloth
- Microfiber cloth
- Soft toothbrush
- Cotton wool buds
Commercial Window Cleaner
A manufactured cleaner is easily available in any superstore but is more expensive than a homemade cleaner.
A commercial window cleaner is a professional or service provider who cleans windows for commercial properties such as office buildings, retail stores, restaurants, hotels, and other business establishments. Their primary responsibility is to ensure that the windows of these commercial properties are clean, clear, and free from dirt, streaks, and smudges.
Here are some key aspects of commercial window cleaning:
- Cleaning Methods: Commercial window cleaners use various methods to clean windows, depending on the specific needs of the property and the type of windows. Some common methods include traditional hand-cleaning with squeegees and soapy water, water-fed pole systems that use purified water for high-rise buildings, and pressure washing for exterior windows.
- Equipment: They typically use specialized equipment and tools such as squeegees, scrubbers, extension poles, ladders, and safety harnesses to access and clean windows at different heights and locations.
- Safety: Safety is paramount in commercial window cleaning, especially for tall buildings. Window cleaners are trained to use safety equipment, follow safety protocols, and adhere to industry standards to prevent accidents and ensure the well-being of the cleaners and the public.
- Cleaning Solutions: They may use various cleaning solutions and detergents designed to remove different types of dirt, grime, and stains from windows. Eco-friendly and environmentally safe cleaning products are often preferred to minimize the impact on the surrounding environment.
- Frequency: The frequency of commercial window cleaning varies depending on factors such as the location, climate, and the business’s specific needs. Some businesses require regular window cleaning to maintain a professional appearance, while others may opt for periodic cleaning or one-time services.
- Customized Services: Commercial window cleaners often offer customized services to meet each client’s unique requirements. This may include interior and exterior window cleaning, frame and sill cleaning, removal of hard water stains, and more.
- Maintenance and Repairs: Besides cleaning, some commercial window cleaners may offer minor maintenance and repair services for windows, such as replacing damaged screens or addressing issues with seals.
- Insurance and Licensing: Reputable commercial window cleaning companies are typically licensed and insured to protect themselves and their clients in case of accidents or damages during the cleaning process.
- Clientele: Commercial window cleaners serve many clients, including property management companies, building owners, businesses, and government institutions.
Rags or cloths
It’s important to use the right materials and techniques to achieve smear-free and streak-free windows. Microfiber cloths are often recommended because they are highly effective at cleaning glass surfaces without leaving streaks or smears. Here’s how to use them properly:
- Choose High-Quality Microfiber Cloths: Start by selecting high-quality microfiber cloths. These cloths are designed to trap dirt and grime effectively, leaving surfaces clean and streak-free. Avoid using old, worn-out cloths or those that may have abrasive particles embedded in them, as they can scratch the glass.
- Dampen the Cloth: Lightly dampen the microfiber cloth with clean, lukewarm water. You can also add a small amount of window cleaning solution if needed. Be cautious to keep the cloth neat, as excessive moisture can lead to streaks.
- Wipe the Glass: Start by wiping the glass surface with the damp microfiber cloth. Use vertical or horizontal strokes, and apply gentle pressure to remove dirt and grime. Working from the top of the window down is a good practice to prevent drips and streaks.
- Dry with a Dry Microfiber Cloth: After cleaning the glass with the damp cloth, immediately follow up with a dry microfiber cloth to remove any remaining moisture and buff the surface to a streak-free shine. Using a separate dry cloth ensures you don’t return dirt or moisture onto the glass.
- Check for Streaks: Inspect the window for streaks or smears after cleaning and drying. If you notice any, use a clean, dry portion of the microfiber cloth to buff them away gently.
- Consider Using a Window Cleaning Solution: If you’re dealing with particularly stubborn stains or buildup on your windows, you can use a commercial window cleaning solution. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use it sparingly to avoid leaving residue.
- Regular Maintenance: To maintain smear-free windows, cleaning them regularly is essential. The longer you wait between cleanings, the more dirt and grime can accumulate, making streaks more likely.
Glass cleaning with this trick may be one of the oldest tricks in the glass cleaning book. For cleaning glass surfaces, the newspaper is a great alternative to clothes. This is because of a few reasons:
- Newspapers leave no fibers or lint behind.
- Smears often contain grease, so newspaper is perfect for absorbing it.
- It will take a lot of newspaper to clean a large surface before it needs to be replaced.
- If you don’t have a newspaper handy, packing paper makes a great alternative.
In addition to being readily available, the newspaper is cheap and sometimes free to use when cleaning glass.
A squeegee is an additional useful tool for window cleaning. It’s a handy multi-purpose tool that effectively cleans various types of window dirt and leaves no smear. It’s excellent for getting a smear-free finish.
Regularly wipes the cutter with a clean cloth when cleaning with a squeegee. This will keep dirt from getting on the window glass. Remove any remaining water from the window with a wet microfiber cloth or chamois, then dry the sill.
When it comes to smear-free window cleaning, steam cleaners can also do a great job. Most steam cleaners come with a window attachment that can be used for any window cleaning. The main benefit of using a steam cleaner is that it is environmentally friendly and uses no chemical solutions.
Steam cleaners come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Some steam cleaners are quite heavy and difficult to transport. As a result, you should use lightweight and compact steam cleaners.
Similar to clothes, kitchen roll leaves behind dusty fibers as we clean. Paper towels can also break into pieces if swiped on the edges. The kitchen roll absorbs well to soak up the solution but won’t completely clean the windows.
U shaped pole
A U-shaped pole or window cleaning tool can be a helpful accessory for cleaning hard-to-reach windows, particularly those in high or difficult-to-access areas. These tools typically consist of a U-shaped frame with a handle and attachable cleaning pads or cloths. They can clean windows without needing a ladder or direct physical contact with the glass. Here’s how to use a U-shaped pole for smear-free window cleaning:
- Assemble the Tool: First, assemble the U-shaped pole according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Typically, you’ll attach the cleaning pad or cloth to the frame, ensuring it is securely in place.
- Prepare the Cleaning Solution: If desired, prepare a window cleaning solution by mixing a small amount of a commercial window cleaning solution or a mixture of water and a mild detergent in a spray bottle. Spray the solution onto the window’s surface.
- Extend the Pole: Extend the U-shaped pole to its full length, allowing you to reach the window safely and comfortably. Many U-shaped poles are designed to extend to varying lengths, making them suitable for different window heights.
- Position the Cleaning Pad: Position the cleaning pad or cloth on the window’s surface, ensuring it covers the entire area you want to clean.
- Apply Pressure and Wipe: Use the U-shaped pole to pressure the cleaning pad or cloth against the window gently. Start at the top of the window and work your way down in vertical or horizontal strokes, depending on your preference.
- Check for Streaks: Check the window for streaks or smears after cleaning. If you notice any, you can use a clean, dry portion of the cleaning pad or a separate dry cloth to buff away any remaining moisture and streaks.
- Repeat as Needed: For particularly dirty or streaky windows, you may need to repeat the cleaning process, ensuring that you use a clean portion of the cleaning pad and avoid applying too much pressure, which can lead to streaks.
- Rinse the Cleaning Pad: If cleaning multiple windows, rinse the cleaning pad or cloth periodically to remove accumulated dirt and cleaning solution. This helps prevent streaks and ensures effective cleaning.
Tips for Smear-Free-Window
Before cleaning or washing windows, remove any curtains or shutters if possible. Remove any decorations from the sills of the window to create a clean and clear work area. Get rid of cobwebs or loose debris from the windows with a duster – wet dust will smear the glass, so handle it while it is dry.
- When cleaning a window glass, go from top to bottom and work in a circular motion with the cloth to avoid smears. This will get rid of the big dirt particles.
- To properly clean the window glass without smear, use vertical motions first, followed by horizontal motions. Remember to soak the cloth in the cleaning solution and squeeze out excess water.
- Select a cloudy day to complete a window cleaning task because sunlight can cause smears to appear on the windows. When you clean the window glass, the sun causes it to dry faster, making smears appear more easily.
- When cleaning the windows, use an S-shape motion on the window glass surface. Smears will not appear as a result of this.
Looking for the best way to achieve smear-free windows? Check out our Fuller Crystal Window Cleaner Reviews for an effective solution.
The main reason for smearing on windows is the moisture that doesn’t absorb after cleaning. Areas with excess cleaning solution and watermarks can cause smears on the windows. If you clean the windows with vinegar instead of store-bought options, the windows will be nice and clean.
When you use packing paper or newspaper to wash the windows, you will get the maximum cleaning results if you consider other tips discussed above.